She became curious when Duncan MacLeod began to loom large in several unsolved cases from the area, never a suspect so much as a person of interest, she made it her business to try and find out what she could about him. "I mean all I have to do is stick with you and you'll lead me to a breaking news story."She never figured out who MacLeod really was, of course, but finally decided he had to be part of a secret military or intelligence organization; "If the FBI and the CIA were half as good as the outfit you work for, I'd sleep better at night....who are you guys? Just a hint! Anti-terrorist squad? Federal Crime Task Force? Eagle Scouts? C'mon, give...I won't blow your cover!"
More often than not, Duncan had to keep Randi from running into trouble. But when he, Tessa and Richie moved from Seacouver to Paris in 1993, after the events in Band of Brothers, Randi lost contact, and the opportunity for the story of a lifetime.
Stories that Randi investigated where she tripped over MacLeod:
* The death of Lucas Desiree and arrest of Leo Atkins (9/92)
* The hostage situation at Building A of the Criminal Courts Complex (10/92)
* The criminal medical experiments taking place in the basement of Dr. Paul Wilder (11/92)
* The "Scalper" serial murders (12/92)
* The murder of artist Anne Wheeler by Andrew Ballin (1/93)
* The assassination attempt on peace activist Victor Paulus (2/93)